Serpentine is a small rural town in north central Victoria located in the Shire of Loddon, some 200 kilometres north west of Melbourne.
The town is named for Serpentine Creek, a tributary of the Loddon River. The creek was named by Sir Thomas Mitchell’s description of the River Red Gums lining the river and creeks.
Farmers and graziers began to take up allotments in 1862 and the townsite was established as Serpentine Creek in 1863, the name being changed to Serpentine in 1917.
Serpentine is a producer of grain and cattle and a popular place for fishing.