Inclusive Employment FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

For Job Seekers

What can a DES Disability employment service do for me?

The Australian Government offers a range of services at no cost to job seekers, available through Disability Employment Services providers (DES). Disability Employment Services help people with disability, injury or health conditions to find work and keep a job. They connect people with disabilities with employers who need workers. They can set up interviews and help jobseekers with their resume, travel costs and suitable interview clothing. They can help employers create customised employment, access government subsidies to support workers with a disability, and monitor the situation into the future.

If I get a job will I lose my disability support pension?

People with a disability on disability support pension can be in paid work for up to 30 hours a week without their Disability Support Pension being cancelled or suspended. They will need to report their earnings and may receive a reduced amount of the pension.

If they start working for 30 hours a week or more, their pension will stop, but it can be held open for up to two years, rather than cancelled. This means that if the person starts working less than 30 hours a week within two years of their DSP stopping, they can return to DSP without having to claim it again.

Is it OK for an employer to ask me about my disability?

This question is never acceptable and is a clear breach of the Fair Work Discrimination Act 2009. The decision to disclose a disability (or not) rests with the person with a disability. Job seekers have no legal obligation to disclose a disability unless it directly relates to the job requirements. If they are required to complete a form or medical test that asks for information about a disability or illness, it is perfectly acceptable for an applicant to write ‘not applicable’ if their disability or medical condition won’t impact their performance.

For more information see Disclosing your disability

I am a school leaver- what can I do?

Young people with a disability have a range of options to follow up when they leave school. They include further education such as TAFE or university or community education programs. Or they could try open employment. Getting help from a disability employment service will make finding work a more successful experience. If they need more assistance at work, supported employment may be a better option, or using NDIS funds to use a School Leaver Employment Services (SLES) which can make people more work ready.

For Employers

How can a Disability Employment Services(DES) provider help my business?

A Disability Employment Service provider will work with your business to support you through the whole process of employing someone with a disability. Their services are free, as they are funded through the Federal Government.

I am looking to employ a person with a disability, where do I go for guidance?

Contact your local DES provider. To find your local provider click here. DES providers can assist you in the following ways:

  1. Screen and job ready candidates
  2. Pre-employment training and work-related equipment (if needed)
  3. Support while your new employee settles in
  4. Funding for workplace modifications (if needed)
  5. Access to wage subsidies of up to $10,000 (when you employ an eligible job seeker)
How much does the services of a Disability Employment Services provider cost my business?

DES services are Australian Government funded and cost free for employers.

Is there funding or financial incentives available to employ a person with a disability?

Yes, there is. When you employ a person with a disability through a DES provider, they will assist your business to access wage subsidies and other financial supports. Click here for more details.

What if we need to make some adjustments to our business, office or factory for our new employee?

There is funding available through the Federal Government’s Employment Assistance Fund for workplace modifications.

Workplace modifications include:

  • minor building modifications
  • new tools or equipment
  • introducing new technology and communication devices
  • adapting work vehicles
  • team awareness training on disability and mental health
  • Auslan interpreters, captioning, and software adaptions

Contact Inclusive Towns

Register your business as an accessible business for people with a disability